Wednesday, May 13, 2009

23. Wednesday - May 13, 2009


PROSPECT PARK - Today's weather was incredible - a beautiful cool breezy sunny day. No better time than to take a walk through Brooklyn's beautiful Prospect Park. I have to admit, today I felt very aimless... and I'm trying hard to not get down. I've heard nothing from the resume's I've sent out, and it seems there are no job listings on Archinect.

I sat uncomfortably for what felt like an eternity and pontificated about the meaning of life.

What on earth am I going to do with my life? So, to relieve myself of the existential pain, I got up from my jittery rest and aimlessly walked through the park along with all of the other unemployed professionals who had the same look of helpless despair on their faces. I impressed myself with how easily I could spot them.

The newly unemployed talked nervously on their phones about possible opportunities, hope, good things on the horizon. The others, the more veteran unemployed, disguised it well by burying their noses in books, riding bikes, flying kites or like me walked aimlessly through the park. Unified, they looked bored - and looked like fish out of water. What are all these A-type personalities going to do? In some way, maybe this park is the way to reach out and feel solace in the fact that yes, I'm not alone... but that still doesn't pay the bills or satisfy my goal obsessed psyche.

Next strategy? Chill the F out and enjoy my surroundings... Prospect Park was considered Olmstead's true masterpiece, constructed after the iconic Central Park was completed. The tunnels, bridges, pavilions and landscaping are beautiful and it is here where Brooklyn's last true forest resides.

Near the end of my amble and near the oriental pavillion, an attractive young man decked out in hip-hop gear made the observation:
"Man, I just love it, look at you, just takin' in all the nature! Hang in there baby, and have a great day!"
Thanks man... I'm trying my best, and even more thanks for putting a big smile on my face.

1 comment:

  1. "The newly unemployed talked nervously on their phones about possible opportunities, hope, good things on the horizon. The others, the more veteran unemployed, disguised it well by burying their noses in books, riding bikes, flying kites or like me walked aimlessly through the park."

    Yes...

    ReplyDelete